STAYING SAFE IN THE EVENT YOUR CAR BREAKS DOWN
There are few things scarier than running into trouble while on the road. Whether your vehicle is having a mechanical failure, an overheated engine, or a flat tire, it’s important to know what to do. Having a reaction plan and knowing how to stay safe are vital. Here’s what you should do in the event your car breaks down and you require roadside assistance, according to AARP:
Pull off to a safe location away from the flow of traffic.
- Take your foot off the gas pedal — do not brake suddenly.
- Ideally, aim for the right shoulder of the road — pulling into the left-hand shoulder is a last resort.
- Be sure to park with your wheels turned to the right so that if your vehicle is struck from behind, your vehicle will not cross the lane into moving traffic. Once parked, stay inside your vehicle with your seatbelt on, whenever possible. If you must exit the vehicle, always do so from the right side to avoid traffic.
Once off the road, make your vehicle visible.
- Use your hazard lights — this warns other drivers that something is wrong.
- If it is dark, also turn on the interior dome light.
Triple-check before getting out of the vehicle.
- Make sure it is safe to get out, especially on a busy highway. If you feel it would be safer in the vehicle, go with your instincts and stay inside with your seatbelt on.
- If you made it to the right-hand side of the road, get out through the passenger-side door.
- If you judge it safe to do so, put flares or reflective triangles behind your vehicle as follows: one near your vehicle, usually about 10 feet behind it, and the other one farther away.
- If your engine is smoking or you see flames, get out of your vehicle as quickly as you can.
When you are safe, call for help.
- If you have a roadside assistance provider, give them a call.
- If you don’t have a provider, call for a tow truck if you need further assistance, or call 911 if it is an emergency.
- If you don’t have a cellphone, hang a white cloth or piece of paper out of your window and wait for the highway patrol.
- If you are driving alone at night, be careful about accepting help from strangers, and stay inside your car if you can. Make sure your doors are locked and your windows are up.
Ormsby Motors prides itself on providing exemplary customer services. We take every measure to ensure you are satisfied with all your used car sales, repair, and towing needs and will do whatever it takes to earn your business and remain lifelong clients. Ormsby Motors has been proudly serving the Crystal Lake area for a number of years. We pride ourselves on being large enough to provide professionalism and reliability, yet small enough to provide personalized service. To learn how Ormsby Motors can help you find your next vehicle, please visit our website or give us a call at (815) 459-4566!